Friday, August 05, 2005

I love Paris in the Summer.



I have always been a big movie buff. I guess I got that from my dad. He would watch old black and white movies on tv when I was young many, many years ago. I picked up a love of movie soundtracks by watching movies. When I say soundtracks I don't mean the pop songs that are included, but the actual movie score.

Forrest Gump for example has two different soundtracks. One with the pop music and the other with the score. I have been listening to one specific soundtrack on the way into work that makes me want to watch that movie again. Paris, Texas by Ry Cooder. The soundtrack features Ry Cooder playing a Slide Guitar. His sound just oozes through the whole movie. It turns out, according to IMDB, that Ry based his score on a song by Blind Willie Johnson. The song is called "Dark was the Night". I will have to find Blind Willie's Version. The only problem with the soundtrack CD is that dialogue from the movie is on one of the songs. It ruins the listening experience.

Check out the soundtrack. It would be good for a road trip through the Desert or maybe through the Delta on Hwy 61 and watch the movie. It is directed by Wim Wenders and I don't think you will be disappointed. The opening shot alone is worth watching. The main character, Travis, is wandering through a desert and with Ry's atmospheric slide guitar the movie just draws you in. It is loosely based on the themes of the John Ford's movie "The Searchers".

1 comment:

Lenslinger said...

Welcome, Screen Left. I've added you to my blogroll...